- China is currently the powerhouse in the global coke, industry. The country !s by far the most important
market for metallurgical coke In every key aspect covering production, consumption and export.
- China's coke output reached 208.7 million tonnes in 2004, an increase by nearly 18% as compared with
2003, with 193 million tonnes allocated for domestic consumption and 15 million tonnes for export.
- China supplied nearly 49% of the world total demand in 2004.
- China's total coke output was estimated to stand at 220.0 million tonnes In 2005.
- The table below depicts the expected future coke demand of six major areas in China and the domestic
metallurgical coke market in China.
- Locality has been a major driving force behind metallurgical coke production capacity growth in north, northeast and east of China.
- These areas have large pools of coal reserves and are strategically located near the coal ports - boosting the
supply chain of metallurgical coke market.
- The availability and close proximity to both imported and domestic coal coupled with existing transportation
infrastructure have provided the catalyst for expansion of the metallurgical coke market.
- Steel production and demand distribution is also closely mirrored by metallurgical coke production and
- Increased number of steel coke production facilities growing in these areas has sparked the building of new
metallurgical coke plants looking to meet new increasing demand.
- The table below depicts the revenue growth forecast for metallurgical coke market (China), from 2006-2011: